To make the most of your dental implant consultation, you should be prepared to get all of the information you need to make a decision about your treatment. The following questions give you a good guideline of what you should ask at the consultation.
- How do dental implants work? The dental implant consultation presents a good opportunity to gather this basic information about dental implants. You can learn more about the technology that makes dental implants so durable and stable.
- What are the benefits of dental implants? Because they are structurally complete and consist of a root-like structure and a prosthetic crown or crowns, dental implants have a number of advantages over conventional appliances. Your oral surgeon can explain more of the details to you at your initial appointment.
- Am I a good candidate for dental implants? In order to get the most benefit from dental implants, patients need to have adequate bone at the implant site to support osseointegration. At the dental implant consultation, your oral surgeon will examine your jaw and may take x-rays to assess the quality of bone at the site.
- How long does the treatment take, and how do I prepare for the procedure? The oral surgeon can review the expectations for the length of the procedure as well as instructions to prepare for that appointment and for post-operative care.
- What kind of results can I expect? You should get an idea of what you can expect from dental implant treatment, and you may even be able to view photos of results from previous patients with conditions similar to yours.
- How do I take care of dental implants? Your oral surgeon can give you directions to maintain your dental implants so that you get the expected longevity from them.
Of course, this list is not intended to be comprehensive, so if you have any other questions, write them down and bring them to the appointment. We want to work with you to make sure you’re making an informed decision that will benefit you for years to come. Call our team at EverSmile to schedule your consultation to get started on that path.